Every year I release a list of the best, most interesting blogs and websites I have encountered in the previous 365 days that I think other people should know about in the coming 365 days. I’ve done this for 3 years straight—this will be the 4th. As in years past this post was literally 1 year in the making (although it took a mere 2 days to organize and assemble).
How do I choose which sites make the cut? To be sure, website and blog owners tweet and email me suggestions year round (as do impartial third parties): but the funny thing is, with few exceptions, I only include sites I come across myself organically—making this list a sort of extension of myself. I look for sites that are well designed, unique in some way and, plainly put, addicting. There’s nothing scientific about these lists: they’re merely full of sites I think are interesting or cool for some reason. Yes, many of these sites have been around for more than a year—it’s just that I really discovered them and took an interest in them this year. See my picks from previous years: 2012 | 2013 | 2014
- Mind-Meltingly Awesome Blogs & Websites
- For Guys
- For Girls
- News & Current Events
- Viral Sites
- Super Interesting Blogs
- Design, Art & Photography
- General Lifestyle
- Boredom Killers
Every now and then I come across a website that impacts my life in a big way—or has the potential to—or could impact another person’s life in a big way. And by “big” I mean useful, fun, kind… something I basically can’t stop digging into (day after day). These 10 websites are some of my absolute favorites and I had to share them first.
- Product Hunt – The best new products, every day.
- Everyday Carry – Peek into the pockets/lives of interesting people.
- Canopy – Amazon, curated. Amazing products you can actually buy.
- The Big Roundtable – Publishes narrative nonfiction.
- Grand St. – Creative technology marketplace. Cool stuff. Really cool stuff.
- Twitch – Social video for gamers. Watch the best video gamers game.
- Love For The Elderly – Helps seniors get the love and attention they deserve.
- Have I Been Pwned? – Find out if your personal info might have been stolen.
- Genius – Annotate the world. Weigh in: from books to music, history to tech.
- Expert Enough -Helping you learn more, do more, and be more.
For guys who want to get more out of the Internet than porn, I’ve collected 10 sites that cover everything from regular advice to fashion advice to, of course, cool stuff to buy.
- Trunk Club – Style that works on your schedule (get a personal stylist).
- Jack Threads – Men’s fashion and style, delivered daily.
- Primer – A guys post-college guide to growing up.
- Por Homme – Fashion, culture and lifestyle catered to men.
- Mantelligence – More than stuff you should buy… mind, body, relationships.
- Well Spent – Honestly crafted products that don’t cost an arm and a leg.
- FREE / MAN – A men’s style publication with it’s own in-house creative unit.
- Muted – Stuff for guys. But with great photography, short descriptions.
- Supercompressor – Men’s buying guide with an eye on function, design.
- Acquire – A focus on items with great product stories, heritage.
Look, I’m not a girl, but 42% of my audience here on DailyTekk is female so I did my best to collect 10 exciting blogs and websites for women. From the career advice to parenting advice to design and beauty, (I think) there’s plenty here for any girl.
- Refinery29 – New media brand for smart, creative and stylish women.
- Keep – Discover trends in fashion, decor, accessories and design.
- ModCloth – Unique and cute clothes, accessories and decor.
- The Everygirl – The life map for everygirls everywhere.
- DailyWorth – The ambition woman’s guide to all things money and career.
- Gretel – Modern design and all things pretty.
- Cool Mom Picks – They find it, you flaunt it.
- Jezebel – Info for women sans airbrushing.
- We Heart It – Heart images that move you. Discover creativity.
- Mom Trends – Positive, inspiring, pretty and social.
I don’t know about you, but I often tire of the same old news sources I’ve been consuming for years. Fortunately there are some really fresh news sites that you can turn to for a different view on current events.
- Vox – Understand the news.
- Vocativ – Hidden perspectives and stories from the Deep Web.
- The Raw Story – Investigative news. Highlights underreported news.
- Mic – Quality news coverage tailored to millennials.
- Matter – Long-form articles on science, tech, medicine and the environment.
- FiveThirtyEight – News from politics to economics (ESPN).
- The Intercept – Fearless, adversarial news.
- Elite Daily – The voice of Gen Y.
- The Upshot – Politics, policy, economics and everyday life (NYT).
- The Vane – Interesting weather happenings (Gawker).
When you see the word viral these days you probably groan… not because you aren’t interested in the viral content but because you are. Yes, some viral sites are annoying, but there are others that are actually interesting… even useful. I’ll let you be the judge, but here are 10 viral sites to take a peek at.
- 22 Words – Curious, cute, comical and crazy. Funny, smart, amazing stories.
- ClickHole – Content that panders to and misleads readers enough to go viral.
- Know More – A site for people who like learning stuff.
- Faithit – Change the world. Share what matters.
- A+ – Viral site with an audience of 50 million.
- ViralNova – Aims to entertain, intrigue and uplift through social content.
- Foodbeast – Food news, recipes and humor.
- List25 – Consistently conciliating curiosity.
- Zergnet – A collection of viral content from all over the Internet.
- Guff – Viral/entertaining. Funny/informative. Outrageous/compelling.
Looking for an interesting niche to settle into to learn something new? Whether driven by a single personality or a team (even a team of 2), these sites offer compelling insights into various aspects of the personal and business lives of their makers.
- Feld Thoughts – A thoughtful look at venture capital, Boulder and life.
- Nir and Far – Business, behavior and the brain.
- Milk The Pigeon – Feel like your life is pointless? Don’t. Here’s why.
- Food Politics – A professor’s take on the politics of food.
- Marginal Revolution – Small steps toward a much better world.
- The Clip Report – Dispatches on the future of media (by Steve Rubel).
- Marc and Angel Hack Life – Practical tips for productive living.
- SlowStruck – Taking time is the ultimate rush.
- Lumosity Blog – Learn all about neuroscience.
- To Work Or Play – 4 ladies, advertising, London and life.
This is a technology blog so I’d feel a bit odd without including a technology category. If you think you know about “all the best tech blogs” out there… you’re wrong. Here’s a few you may not have heard about yet.
- Dcurt.is – I love the insight and opinion coming from Dustin Curtis, villain.
- Re/code – All things tech from the team that formerly built AllThingsD.
- The Information – Tech industry news for the world’s professionals.
- Officelovin – Discover the best tech and startup offices.
- The Tech Block – Good tech reads from around the Internet.
- Stratechery – Former Apple and Microsoft employee writes about tech.
- Louis Gray – Silicon Valley tech blogger.
- Jeremiah Owyang – Industry analyst and speaker.
- TechSpiked – Entertainment for techies.
- I, Cringely – Bob Cringley has over 30 years experience in tech news.
I love all things design. From UX to architecture to nature itself. If it’s creative it gets my attention. I suppose that’s why I studied design in college. There are so many great creative-focused blogs out there (and I’ve covered plenty in the past) but here are 10 I’m sure you’re going to love
- Design You Trust – Design trends, news, portfolios, fashion and ads.
- The Fox Is Black – From design and illustration to food and photography.
- Decoist – Architecture and modern design.
- Inky Collective – Where doodlers and dreamers meet creative adventure.
- Saatchi Art – Connecting people with art and artists they love.
- Creative Market Blog – Tutorials, design inspiration and tips and tricks.
- Daily Overview – Curated satellite photography.
- The Sketchbook Project – See the world’s largest collection of sketchbooks.
- FlowingData – Visualization and statistics blog (if you love infographics…).
- BLOUIN ARTINFO – Up to the minute art news and commentary.
Whether you want to get a glimpse into life in another city, want to do some traveling or want to discover interesting people leading interesting lives, you can do so with the links below.
- Booya Fitness – Every type of fitness class you can imagine—online.
- Hodinkee – Wristwatch news, reviews and original stories.
- Gothamist – NYC’s news, food, art and events. Many sister cities/sites.
- LAist – Los Angeles news, food, art and events.
- TravelWell – Photographic journal showcasing various destinations.
- Tourist Meets Traveler – A mother/daughter travel blogging team.
- The Standard Edition – Lifestyle blog with lots of interesting pics/stories.
- The Mother List – Amazing people, inspiring moments.
- Pop-Up City – Explores the trends that will shape the city of the future.
- Untapped Cities – The best of urban living from cities around the globe.
And now we’ve come to the final section. If you’ve made it this far your appetite for entertainment and information must be insatiable. Here are a few “can’t miss” sites covering a variety of topics that will keep you busy (but knowing you it’ll be over all too soon). Until next year…
- iDreamBooks – Never read a crappy book again.
- Sploid – Delicious brain candy (Kinja).
- Instructables – DIY! How-to make all kinds of things…
- Wondernode – Things we wonder.
- Nothing Cooler – 9 awesome videos posted daily.
- The Smart Passive Income Blog – The crash test dummy of online business. See what works.
- Math With Bad Drawings – A teacher who likes math and writing but can’t draw.
- Defense One – Trends that will define the future of U.S. defense and national security (Atlantic Media).
- Nerdophiles – A collaborative blog on nerd culture.
- CreativeLive – Creative classes from the world’s top experts.